Contactless giving for mobile phone users
Here's an inexpensive, versatile, and easy set-up option to start accepting contactless donations from smartphone users in your church. A QR code is a unique code made up of small black and white squares that can be read by the camera or a QR code reader on a smartphone. It can be printed onto anything that you print on paper, such as a pew card, an order of service, parish magazine, poster, banner or card.
Download your unique QR code
In order to download a QR code for your church you will need to apply for your code, to do this you will need to login or register with Parish Buying, see the bottom of the page. You will be asked to fill out a short form, for this you will need a valid email address.
How to set up your donations page
To set up your donations page you will be taken through a short series of steps, you will need to:
- Input your contact details, including a valid email address.
- Upload an image for your donations page, this can be a picture of your church or whatever you like and have permission to use.
- Give your page a title and write some short text about what you are raising money for, and add your suggested donation values.
- All payments are processed by Stripe, so you will need to register an account with them – but don't worry that's all dealt with during the registration. You will need to have your church's bank account details to hand.
You will then be taken back to the Thyngs website, a message will appear saying that two emails have been sent to your inbox, one from Stripe to verify your account, and one from Thyngs containing the zip file with your unique QR code and an instructions document.
How to make a donation
For someone to make a donation from a QR code they will need to:
- Open the camera app or QR code reader on their smart phone to scan the QR code
- Select the amount they wish to donate from your price points, or select their own amount
- Choose how they wish to pay – with GooglePay, Apple pay or their credit card – options may vary from phone to phone
- Once the payment has gone through, they will receive confirmation that the payment has been made
- They will be asked if they want to make a Gift Aid donation
*For a donation to be made there needs to be connectivity available.
QR codes and Android devices
Not all phone cameras can read QR codes, this is less of an issue with iPhones than Android phones. If the phone's camera doesn't read the QR code then the User may have to go to 'Settings' and enable QR code scanning, or use the QR reader in their Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest apps. If this isn't an option for the User then they will need to download a third-party QR code reader app, which can be found in the Google app store.
Samsung phones need to follow this link to be able to access QR codes.
How to Gift Aid donations
Your donor can make a Gift Aid declaration on their phone too. You will receive HMRC compliant Gift Aid declaration forms and they you will need to claim Gift Aid from HMRC in the usual way. Your email address will act as the username required to access reports and Gift Aid declarations.
Displaying your QR code in your church
You can add the code onto anything you print such as a pew card, an order of service, parish magazine, postcards – in fact anything printable. If you would like to display the code on a poster, you will need to send the file to the person who does your design work. When displaying your QR code in your church make sure the code is big and add some messaging to draw people in. *You will be able to find suggested copy for this in the instruction document you receive in the email with your code.
No cost to your church explained
There is no charge for signing up to Good Thyngs, nor your QR code, no monthly charge, and no charge for the Gift Aid service if you register with Parish Buying. The charge for each donation received is 3.7% + 20p using Stripe (PayPal's charges are slightly higher).
There is an enhanced service for £10 per month when paid monthly, and £108 when paid annually. The enhanced service includes:
- Multiple QR codes, which allows for different campaigns to be run and individual reporting per campaign
- Dashboards and reporting so understand in real time how much you have raised
- 5 x NFC cards (near field communication) allowing for payments to be taken from them https://thyngs.net/solutions/charity
- Enhanced templates, so videos/images can be added to your church's fundraising page