Churches without postcodes have often met with difficulties in obtaining broadband or a phone line from providers because they rely on BT to provide the basic infrastructure.
BT classes churches as “Non Served Premises” (NSP) which are buildings they consider to be uninhabited. At present you do not need to provide a UPRN (Unique Premise Reference Number) to place an order for telephony or broadband service using the Openreach network.
As an NSP you can expect:
- A site survey is conducted by Openreach
- The cable routing from the nearest telegraph pole or footway box is identified
- Where a listed building is involved, Openreach will discuss with you how cabling will be routed. This will be necessary when you seek your Archdeacon’s advice on whether you need to apply for a Faculty
- Where necessary, Openreach will apply for required wayleaves to provide service.
- Name and Full Postal Address* of Property
- Name, email address and contact number of the person ordering the service
- Your Order Reference (if required)
- The products you wish to order
- Site contact name and number for the engineer visit
*In supplying the name and full postal address, it may be helpful to find it on the official FindMyAddress service https://www.findmyaddress.co.uk/search
You can also contact Lynn McGowan on the Order Management Team number 0800 032 4660.
If Lynn has been unable to help or is unavailable, further contacts at BT are as follows: